blog off

Monday, November 21, 2005

needles

i once dated a drunken drug addict. the relationship was, of course, peppered with verbal and physical abuse. and while i finally came to my senses and left this person, i never think i'll be able to metabolize the news that he killed himself.

i often think about him. i once gave him a prickly pear of a cactus. we called him federico. and federico came down with a strange epidermal condition. one day my ex took federico into the bathroom, put some of my aloe vera gel on a q-tip, and gently dabbed it onto the cactus’s wound.

"i want him to get better." he said.

how can someone who could do so much damage to their own self tenderly repair a cactus?

4 Comments:

At November 22, 2005, Blogger Kell said...

I have a similar situation - with a brother-in-law... That's hard. I'm really sorry

 
At November 23, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me sad. I like your title. - kjc

 
At November 25, 2005, Blogger Kattia said...

Life is so ironic.
I know the feeling. But you describe it much better.

 
At December 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

..he must have thought himself part of the cactus family..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home