blog off

Thursday, November 29, 2007

to let


haight
Originally uploaded by kristalynn.
i became tired with myself not too long ago. which is nothing new. but this time i got disciplined, instead of mopey. i hopped on the internets and sent out 6492 resumes. and what ensued was interesting. tiring, but interesting.

working as a freelancer is great. everyone i know who does it, loves it. i recently got a panicky email from a friend who feared the company she consulted for was offering her a job.

"how do i not come away from this meeting with a full-time job?"

"talk about the benefits. convince them of the benefit of not paying you benefits."


so it looks like i landed myself a six-month contract with a company that i never, ever would have imagined myself working for. in my consternation, i asked friends for advice. one told me that having that company's name on my resume would be a hindrance; that no one would ever want to deal with me again. ever.

a colleague told me i should not list it at all.

“i can’t have a six-month gap. that’ll look like i was unhealthy, that i had to go away.”

she conceded, but said that the only way it should appear is if i were to create a new section, entitled "Case Studies", and list it there. if i ever wanted anyone to take me seriously again.

i had 4369 other interviews with seemingly upstanding companies that would look stellar on my resume. the trouble is, there was always something that didn't feel right. the tiniest little thing would irk me: no water was offered, an extra person sat on the panel, certain expenses would have to be fronted by me…

only a few months previous i declared that i wanted a job "with perks - you know, i want to be flown places, put up in hotels...". when i asked this company about accommodations - meaning short-term rentals that i would be responsible for - they said, "oh we'll take care of that. and we're working on getting you a car."

i don’t really want a car, but i was too overwhelmed to say so.

i'm being wooed. by an ultra-right, republican, cultish corporation.

it feels good.

6 Comments:

At November 29, 2007, Blogger thuy said...

say it aint so!

by the way, i now live less than a mile from haight. are you still in town?

 
At November 29, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

Hmmmm....details by email?? You have me curious.... Glad you are being wooed.

 
At November 29, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

What? How shocking!

p.s. I turned down actual employment, and now my freelance offers are drying up. I was like, "If I say no, will my freelance offers dry up?" And they said not to be so silly :(

 
At November 29, 2007, Blogger sass said...

i'm not longer in SF. i spent 5 wonderful, sun-filled days there.

must to return.

 
At November 30, 2007, Blogger Kell said...

One day I ran into this dork I used to work with.

Dork: Hi, Kelly!
K: Hi (dork)! What are you up to these days?
Dork: I'm working for myself - in a business where I help others start their own businesses with the potential of earning thousands of dollars a month!!!!
K: (named company - you know what company I'm talking about) huh?
Dork: How did you know?

Well, I used to live there...

 
At December 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as they remain a case study. And you will have tons to work with...you could parlay it into a novel. "The WAY of the freelance world." or "Is this truly the WAY i AM?"

or something along those lines.

Some might (ahem...as you may have done, once or twice) accuse me of selling out for money...and baubles...and gorgeous, gorgeous little things.

The born-agains call it "backslidden"
The catholics call it "derailment"
I call it "Prada, Gucci and Chanel" - My own, holy trinity (with a decent sized nod, thank you very much, to one of my favourite apostles: Stuart Weitzman)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home