blog off

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

and so they begin...


gingerbread house
Originally uploaded by kristalynn.

i got the call. the divorce call.

"i'm in the middle of a divorce." she said.

"come again?"

she proceeded to tell me all about the end of her 3-year marriage; her 8-year relationship. my heart was going out to her. i was listening non-judgmentally and offering my "if there's anything i can do’s...”.

until she said, "well, i knew it all along. i was marrying my best friend. there was never any 'oomph', no spark."

my tone changed. "well, why'd you marry him then?"

"i thought it would make things better."

i immediately thought back to the ceremony. all of this couple's family and friends, looking on with praise, love, and approval. a few tears dripped when the vows were exchanged. but now i saw that all of our sentiment was in vain.

i felt as though i'd been duped. my intelligence insulted. why drag everyone, especially her (soon-to-be-ex) husband, through this sham of "love"? the celebration of hokum. how could she bear the loving looks of approval from her parents, from all their friends that came from so far?

you've got one shot. you've got one chance to have me at a wedding with my sentiments being sincere. from the second time onward, if i can even muster to attend, i cannot be held accountable if i'm caught in a photo with my eyes rolling. or with my all my attention paid to the zucchini dip.

3 Comments:

At July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

zucchini dip would not betray you. it would not ask you to wear a seafoam coloured bridesmaid dress nor would it ask you if those are real....

 
At July 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh dear. it's panda time. it is spelled praise.

 
At July 23, 2005, Blogger Krista Sparkles said...

I got the same call this week - my first break up of a couple who's wedding I attended. I feel for her but I also feel like a bit of a schmuck. Was I naive to believe that it would never happen to me?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home