blog off

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

speak easy



Originally uploaded by kristalynn.

remember sean penn at last year's borecademy awards? when chris rock made a joke about jude law and how he's in a million and three movies all at once and then asked who the hell is this guy anyway. and then sean "buzzkill" penn came out to present an award, but premabled with, "for those of you who aren't aware, jude law is one of the greatest actors of our time... bla bla bla."

i attribute the ability to laugh at oneself with humility. and humility is a characteristic that i find most fascinating in people.

my boyfriend defends sean "yawn" penn's words:

"they're both serious actors, and he just didn't like someone making fun of his craft."

'serious' being the operative word. nothing irks me more than someone who takes him/herself too seriously.


last weekend, my boyfriend and i were having beverages in an old speakeasy in the west village. it was really cute. and after two martinis, my boyfriend says, "why don't you blog about me?"

"because you freak out every time i do."

"i will not. look!"

and he started to write on the paper tablecloth.

i don't care what krista writes about. he scribbled.

"that's so mean!"

"i didn't mean it that way!"

"well, usually when you give someone permission in writing to do something, it begins with i hereby...

he then wrote out the note that you see. (if you can make out the second paragraph, please let me know).

so now that i have permission, here goes!

my boyfriend is a tad on the cocky side. that is, he is a bit "sean-pennish" when it comes to laughing at himself.

i remember a horrible rainy day this past winter. the temperature dropped drastically in the evening, causing everything to freeze over. someone had kicked my boyfriend's recycling box over to the other side of the street. as he stepped onto the road to retrieve it, his fine italian footwear lost its grip and he fell flat on his ass: his two legs sticking straight into the air.

i folded over in laughter - i knew he didn't hurt himself. he didn't have far to fall, he's not that tall.

i tried to stop laughing, but the fact that he was taking it so seriously killed me even more. i laughed as he picked himself up ("geesUS"), as we walked upstairs, and as we lay in bed, well into the night.

when i got up to get a drink from the fridge with tears streaming down my face, i looked over and finally saw a smile cross his face.

i bet it felt so much better.

6 Comments:

At March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so funny! that totally made me laugh out loud... several times.

glad you guys are having fun in ny!

 
At March 16, 2006, Blogger sass said...

the second paragraph reads:

in any way she wants.
especially my rare-humility factor.

 
At March 17, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

I think Dave digs it when I blog about him.

 
At March 17, 2006, Blogger demetri said...

i can say, without an inch of exaggeration, that is the most accurate description of my g! me=ROTFLMAO !!! i've known him for 38 years so i should damn well know! WAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

 
At March 17, 2006, Blogger demetri said...

btw, carol says that shoes bought at schreter's does not count as fine Italian footware!

 
At March 22, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is ALWAYS funny when someone falls down in the middle of the street and I was laughing just reading this. And anyway, he's all about wearing a cape, so he's gotta know some people MAY find that amusant... But now I have a mental image of him falling down while wearing a cape and being very serious about it and it is making me laugh even more. Oh, and Sean Penn made me feel uncomfortable when he did that. One time I saw an interview with Dustin Hoffman where he was so emphatic he was practially crying and he said, "Tootsie was NEVER a comedy for me." That made me feel weird too. -kjc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home