blog off

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

fogs



i was delighted to find a copy of the new york times at my coffee shop this morning. as i settled in for a good long read, i discovered that it was from february 10th. i had to read about "super tuesday" and see valentine's day advertisements all over again.

i got to the birth and death notices and a photo of one particular woman with a beautiful smile stuck out. i read the notice. it was written by "your guy". it said something about the stars and his fog of pain.

someone at a neighboring table asked me a question. i turned to him with wellage in my eyes and he asked why i was reading the obit-s. i ignored his dumb question and just told him that she was too young to die.

"jeune et jolie," he added.

i turned away and he apologized for bothering me.


i returned home to a message from my mom that one of my uncles passed away in his sleep. found by his wife in the morning. instead of placing my clean laundry away, i found myself angrily and messily throwing it into the closet. he, too, was too young, having lived a healthy life of fishing and eating fish every day. we ate his cod when visiting last. it was the best fish i ever tasted.

and now my aunt is all alone.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At March 03, 2008, Blogger Kell said...

There's nothing wrong with being an American - but I may be a closet Canadian!!!

 
At March 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not that this isn't a great post, but can i selfishly draw attention to the fact that this is from the 27th of Feb and it is now the 9th of march?

(insert stories of french gods here)

and then...

(insert stories of rightfully returned "grooves" here)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home