blog off

Saturday, October 08, 2005

small talk



Originally uploaded by kristalynn.

i recently rented born into brothels and i cried from beginning to end.

now, i wasn't crying because of the kids, as frigging awesome as they were. i was crying because i used to be like this woman. i used to travel the world and fraternize with the locals. i made amazing friends, set up schools for young girls, shared dinner tables with goats and chickens, and contracted dysentery. it was the best time, ever. it was hot, i was dirty, i had my camera, it was heaven. and now... it's a different story. i've exchanged my walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage.

a few days before i rented this movie, i attended a pre-dinner cocktail party. film people. talking about, despite the dearth of film productions in the city, how they've managed to work every single day for the past three years. yes, you're good. yes, you're fabulous. bla, bla, boring, bla.

i scoped out the yard for another conversation. ”who could be more interesting...?"

i simply took another swig of beer.

then i saw her. another lost, bored soul. my savior: a seven year-old girl.

i approached her. we conversed about past lives and how they affect our current life. she made me laugh, she made me think. she was the most intelligent person i'd met all year. i looked back up (i was crouching down to speak to her) to the other people at the party. my heart sank.

don't make me go... the voice in my head pleaded with her. please don't make me go back and talk with those people...

4 Comments:

At October 10, 2005, Blogger Kell said...

I know very well that pursuit of intelligent conversation. I remember once being in New York City's fabulous Hudson Hotel... In the library, a 10-year old boy from England asked me to play a game of pool with him.

After beating me soundly, we talked. I showed him some photographs I'd taken of a recent trip to Haiti, and all of the sudden, we had about 10 people surrounding us, listening to stories about London and Port Au Prince.

If that kid hadn't come in, I'd have stayed in the corner reading my book. It was a cool day.

 
At October 11, 2005, Blogger Kattia said...

I also know the feeling. Like 3 years ago, I was also at a snobbish party in Mexico City of the most famous alternative-music band at the time and their friends. I was an outsider and they made me feel it. But the only friendly face around a great 7-year’s old boy invited me to play football with him. We laugh so much!
And sometimes that's why I love Portugal: simple, direct people now surround me. And there is more room for real feelings. Anytime you want to “desintoxicate” you should come here.

 
At October 11, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

very sweet indeed. it reminded me of a quick encounter i had with a wise young child in chinatown. you've inspired me to write about it on my blog.

 
At October 14, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the cats. Are they designer? -kjc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home