blog off

Thursday, April 27, 2006

holy cannoli


i used to live in new york, and i miss it tons. i still have a few friends there that i try to meet up whenever i'm in town. this last time when i was packing, i got a small pang of melancholy because i thought of one friend whom i would not be meeting up with anymore. this is due to a fight over a USB wireless adaptor.

obviously it's more complicated than that. but i stopped packing and asked my boyfriend if it was okay to feel sad.

"of course it is. maybe you can try to patch things up."

"no…" i said thinking of all the eggshell walking and backpedaling i had to do with him. "…his last email told me to 'fuck off'."


several years ago, i stayed with this friend for a few days. he informed me of a famous nearby italian pastry shop where the cannoli were so good that coppola was known to order them for his film crew. we trotted over and sampled a few. they were, of course, to die for.

i think.

i'm not the biggest cannoli fan. i have trouble with sweet cheese.

in any case, on my last day there, he went out and bought a box of these reputable cannoli and silently placed them on the kitchen counter.

"mmm..." i said, and continued doing what i was doing.

a few days later i got a scathing email from my friend who was incredulous at my rudeness of leaving behind the cannoli gift basket. "i went out and bought that especially for you! i CAN'T eat that stuff. don't you know that i don't eat white sugar? they ALL went in the garbage!"

of course i felt like a heel. i stayed at his place and left behind a baker's dozen of world-famous brooklyn cannoli. why, those could have fed at least two grips on a coppola shoot.

it just would have been so much more simple had he told me that they were for me.

we have people in our lives for a myriad of reasons. not much can explain the chemistry between people. but when a cannoli keeps you from speaking for close to a year, things should be reevaluated.

sadly, the cannoli didn't get its message across. it had to be the wireless adaptor:

"I am asking you kindly now to send me back the wireless adapter with the cord. I went out of my way to bring it to you and have been nothing but a friend to you. I helped with that apartment, set up the internet for you and you are being a total bitch to me. I will make your life hell if you don’t send it to me."


so no, it's not worth patching up.

4 Comments:

At April 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

priceless. the tiny dessert that launched a thousand war emails.....

 
At April 28, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

And why, I ask - when the cards are on the table, and we know full-well what to expect - do we still try?

It's because we have high hopes. (And there's a good reason Hope rhymes with 'dope.')

 
At April 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD, STOP WITH THE ADAPTOR STORY BECAUSE IT MAKES ME LAUGH SOOOOOO HARD EVERY TIME I HEAR ABOUT IT. "Just KEEP the adaptor." Oh God, stop. It's sooooooooo funny and I don't know why. -kjc

 
At May 06, 2006, Blogger demetri said...

holy usb wireless cannolis batchick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home