blog off

Thursday, June 08, 2006

two notes...


first off, my hat is off, way off, to my imaginary boyfriend, for last night he roused me out of a lackadaisical slumber into fully-seated, hand-on-chest, jaw-dropped awe:

Stewart: So why not encourage gay people to join in in that family arrangement if that is what provides stability to a society?

Bennett:. Well I think if gay... gay people are already members of families...

Stewart: What?!

Bennett: They're sons and they're daughters…

Stewart: So that's where the buck stops, that's the gay ceiling.

Bennett: Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a woman.

Stewart: I disagree, I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish.


second off, my real boyfriend's yaya (grandmother) passed away yesterday afternoon. while she had been ailing for years, her death did come somewhat suddenly, simply due to the tenacity that she demonstrated over those years.

"wow." was the first thing i could vocalize, realizing that i would never hear yaya again. yaya was a very loud woman. i would say that she yelled, but i was always corrected by the greeks and was told that it was simply "loud talking".

yaya would loud talk about everything: a cat in her midst, an undercooked steak, the wheel of fortune... and this was always in greek. despite living in canada for 50 odd years, she never learned english or french.

she'd also bellow and squawk at any given moment. when her husband was dying four years ago, she got so mad at him for allegedly abandoning her that she wailed and beat him with a stick.

when i went with her and my boyfriend to greece, i suffered the worst case of jetlag i've ever had. she'd shuffle into my room several times every morning and screech and squawk at me. seeing that i simply fell back asleep, she tried again every half hour until i got up.

so no more “loud talking”. and she has her husband back. she now has her peace.

her presence is greatly missed.

4 Comments:

At June 09, 2006, Blogger Kell said...

It sounds like they truly broke the mold with yaya - and I am so sorry she's gone. My her stories and her spirit live on.

 
At June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so sorry to hear she's gone. yaya's, by nature, are loud and i still miss mine. (i read your description and the similarities are frightening). i shall pass along my condolences....

as for js, i'm always impressed at his ability to phrase his common sense point so well that it's virtually undebatable. it makes me ache for him.

 
At June 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you K
G

 
At June 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is AWESOME. I love that she tormented you by loud talking at you in greek while you were trying to sleep. I have a mental image of her leaving your room shaking her head disapprovingly while you pull the blankets over your face, roll over spastically and sigh loudly in a state of irritation. It amuses me. - kjc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home